- Pete Mesley
- tel: 00 64 272782250, email:pete@Lust4Rust.co
- 52 years old
- Married to Kim, With Two Daughters Hannah and Chloe
- Live in Auckland New Zealand
- Been diving since 1989
- Instructor since 1991, Instructor Trainer since 2000
- Been full time in the diving industry since 1991
- 6000+ hours inwater
- Highest Training, PADI Course Director, TEC Instructor Trainer for Open Circuit and CCR
- CCR Adv Trimix Instructor in Inspiration and JJ CCR
- Dived in 29 different countries
- Came to New Zealand 1994 Been full time as Director of Training for Dive Stores till 2004
- 2004 Self employed Dive Training, Travel business “Lust4Rust” was born
- Worked as Film Safety supervisor and onset Medic for 20 years on and off.
- Prehospital Care, Advanced Cardiac Life support, AED, Advanced Airway Control, IV and catheter insertion
- Trained Hyperbaric Technician and DMT (Dive Medic Training) 2018
- Professional Photographer and videographer
- Skipper 6m vessels since 1995
- ROV Pilot training 2022
- SRL (Skipper Restricted Limits) 12 mile limit and 12 meter length 2022
Pete’s passion for diving started in the cold English waters over 30 years ago. This is where his “Lust for Rust” was created and from then onwards he has dedicated himself to researching, finding, diving and photographing wrecks. With over 6000 + hours in-water experience spanning over 26 different countries, Pete has been full time in the diving industry since 1991. As well as being a PADI Course Director, Pete is a Technical Diving Instructor Trainer. Pete is notably one of the southern hemispheres most experienced Technical divers and Instructors.
He’s also been involved in many diving activities with significant experience in leading deep wreck expeditions to wrecks in remote locations. Also Port Kembla 2007 in New Zealand, (cargo ship hit german mine in 1917) HMS Puriri (a Kiwi minesweeper sunk in 1940’s in a 100m of water off the coast of NZ), RMS Niagara (a luxurious Ocean liner lying in 125m of water), the President Coolidge, Iron Bottom Sounds USS Atlanta (140m) Expedition 2018, and many to the Mikhail Lermontov (a Russian Ocean liner sunk in South Island, NZ). 2009 being a part of a Nat Geographic expedition on the HMHS Britannic ( Pete has since returned to dive Britannic in 2015).
Petes’ highly successful dive travel business “Lust4Rust & Shock&Awe Big Animal Diving Excursions” focuses on taking experienced divers to specialised dive locations worldwide. Places like Truk Lagoon, Solomon Islands, Bikini Atoll, Great Lakes, Sri Lanka, Palau, the South Pacific and NZ. Pete has also earned himself membership into the coveted Explorers Club.
A well published and accomplished photographer, Pete has an appetite for finding new places, new wrecks and adventure! Pete has also been actively involved in assisting with scientific research papers (published in Medical Journals).
Pete also has been involved in film mainly working in the water safety areas. Working as safety diver over the last 20 years on big film shoots, documentaries, National Geographic natural history shoots and recently working as camera assist on the Blockbuster film Avatar 2/3 shot in Wellington in NZ in 2021.